Sward Stick (kg DM/ha)
Soil health indicator: forage volume in kg DM/ ha
Determine your forage volume, using a compressed Sward Stick.
- Sward Stick
- Clipboard (allows you to ‘compress’ the sward to take the reading)
- Place clipboard onto to sward
- Push Sward Stick firmly down to soil surface
- Read value on the Sward Stick level with the underside of the clipboard
- Record in app
What to record in the Sectormentor for Soils app:
- Value on the Sward Stick which is a pre-calibrated number with units: kg DM/Ha (kg of Dry Matter per Hectare).
- Take 40+ measures
Take readings fortnightly or more in-season, monthly in off-season
USA (Pasture stick or grazing stick): https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/cmis_proxy/…/Grazing_Stick_Manual.pdf