No. Broadleaf Species, No. Grass Species, No. Undesirable Species
Soil health indicator: count the number of each plant species you find within a quadrat area
A basic count of the numbers of different plant species, both desirable and undesirable can help to track success of establishment for new leys and how permanent pasture is responding to management practices.
Linked to the % broadleaves. (Test 3.1)
- Decide whether you want to test the field more generally (under the W walk category), or repeatedly test a specific sample site over time (using the GPS feature to find the same sample location).
- Within the quadrat count the number of broadleaf species you can find (don’t worry about naming them).
- Record the number in the app.
- Repeat steps 1-2 for no. grass species and then no. undesirable species.
What to record in the Sectormentor for Soils app:
- Number of broadleaf, grass and undesirable species you can find.
- Do not just record the number of species you know are in any mix you seeded, record only the number of species you see at that moment in your quadrat.
- Take a photo!
How many different species can you see in within this quadrat?